There are many companies which develop web analytics software suites, hoping that they would upstage Google Analytics (some day). Their main claim being that they are ‘real-time’, while Google analytics is not. However that’s not true, because Google Analytics does collect stats in near real-time, but for some reason they never show the latest stats by default, it’s always a day old. If you want to see your latest stats, you can use the date selector combo-box to change the date range to include today’s stats. Here’s a tutorial which shows how. However its cumbersome to do that all the time. So I created (mostly stole) a bookmarklet to always include the latest stats.
Well the real work has been done by Matt. He’s created a bookmarklet which shows today’s stats. I have repackaged that so that it shows the months stats including today’s stats. To generate the bookmarklet, follow these steps:
- Log into your Google Analytics Account
- Choose the website you want to generate the bookmarklet for (if you are tracking multiple websites)
- Once you are in the analytics profile you want to generate the bookmarklet for, the URL in your browser’s location bar will look like
- Copy this URL and paste it in the box below and click on the generate a linkbutton. This will generate a link called Real-time Analytics
- Drag that link to your Bookmark Tool Bar of your browser. Clicking on that link will take you to your google analytics profile and hopefully display the last one month’s stat including today’s stats
Let me know in your comments if the above instructions do not work for you or if they aren’t clear enough.