The first thing I want to do when I get a new laptop is install Linux on it. I usually don’t have rewritable CD/DVD handy and have to depend on USB flash drives to install Linux. Surprisingly, documentation for Arch Linux was sparse on this subject. However I looked up how its done on Ubuntu and it worked seamlessly for Arch Linux.
Use LiLi to install Arch Linux on your laptop/desktop using a USB Flash drive. Lili is for the laptops/desktops which have Windows as the sole OS and want to install Linux on it.
- Download LiLi from http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download
- Download the latest Arch Linux ISO
- Plug in a USB Flash key and fire up LiLi
- Select the appropriate options and the ISO from the filesystem
- Burn the ISO onto the USB flash key
- Now reboot your system and make sure that you boot from the USB flash key (Use F12 key or update BIOS boot order)
- Now follow the regular Arch Linux installation procedure to install it on your system
Detailed steps for using LiLi can be found here.